Friday, October 9, 2009

MSI-G41TM-E43 Motherboard.. no AHCI

I was recently building a budget computer for a friend of mine and I wanted to get good specs. I ended up getting:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor with 6MB cache
WD Black 640 GB HD
Samsung DVD writer
Corsair 4B RAM
MSI-G41TM-E43 motherboard
CoolerMaster Elite 330 case

As for the Cooler Master case, I found it to be a little flimsy and cheaply made. In a previous budget system I used an INWIN case (EA013) which ws the same price and had a far superior build quality in my opinion.

Back to the motherboard though, I chose the MSI because it had the most onboard options for video (HDMI, VGA, and DVI) at a low price.

However, to my very disappointing surprise, the board does not support AHCI for SATA.

What is AHCI? To make a long story short, it allows you to take full advantage of the performance SATA has to offer over Parallel IDE such as NCQ.

I didn't even check if it supported AHCI because I have not seen a board in so long that doesn't and thought it was now standard. Now that I know this particular board doesn't support AHCI, I wouldn't recommend it and will check next time buying a motherboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment